Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Now For Something Completely Different.... Grandmother Spider and Fall Goddesses....

I love the fall in theory. My seasonal affective dissorder can make it interesting but I still love the colors and Goddesses associated with this season.

One of my favorite faces of the Goddes this time of year is Grandmother Spider.

She is a Southwestern Native American creatrix. For me, part of the romance for Grandmother Spider is that she is very straight forward and blunt about her information.Like most of the Native American Elders I know, she does not mince words.  Following traditional aspects of the Lakota tribes I have hung out with, I enjoy sharing a cup of coffee with her and offering her prayer ties and tobacco.

The stories never truely say why type of Spider energy she is.

When I am working with her she shows up as either a giant taranchula or wolf spider (an ancestral totem for me). When she shows up it usually means that I am either going to be a lot more social than I have been or will be meeting new folks that will have a heavy impact on my life.

Her altar is usually in oranges and browns. I like using fall flowers from amaranth to sunflowers depending upon what is available.  Again, offerings of seasonal fruits, nuts, and grains are always acceptable. Marigolds, tobacco, and cornmeal are also good.

For me, she reminds me of my connections. She reminds me of my creative power. She reminds me that my strength comes from my ancestors. Those I know by name and bloodline and the earliest of ancestors.

I like using the chant:

"We are the flow and we are the web.
We are the weavers we are the web." When working with her.

For incense I like using copal or cedar.

On a weather divination note: I like looking at the spider webs this time of year to predict what type of winter we will be getting.  I have several recluse spiders on my property and the more generic daddy long legs.  If the webs are incredibly thick we will have a cold winter with lots of snow. It they are thin, then a mild winter is in store. 

It will be a few weeks before I will start seeing the signs for the season ahead.

As we journey closer into fall, remember Grandmother Spider and your connections to your human community and all your relations.

Blessed Be.!

No comments:

Post a Comment