Wednesday, November 6, 2013


Shamanic Journeying 101

One of my facebook posts from last night talked about needing to journey between the worlds for a bit. I did and it was good, very good.

I wanted to share a bit from my book of shadows and my experience without throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Cleaning the space is always a bit of the ritual for me. General organization along with making sure there is enough room to dance, do yoga, move in general and then lay or sit down with your drum or rattle. 

I then smudge the place and myself. Lately I have been using a combination of white sage, ground angelica root, and mugwort.

I ground and center. I raise energy.

Raising energy can be done in a variety of ways including the drumming/rattling being the raising of the energy itself.  However, raising energy can include anything from chanting, laughing, or movement. Whatever feels good or appropriate to the mood of the ritual do it. In my case, interpretive dance was needed last night.

If I am using physical movement like dance, I move counter clockwise if I am releasing things and clockwise if I am drawing things in.

When the energy feels right, I then ask a totem or spirit guide to assist me in the journey. Sometimes, you will already know that you need to work with a specific animal totem. More often than not, I will use an oracle deck and work with the symbolism that presents itself. Last night, for example I used the Fairy Oracle by Brian Froud other times I have used runes, or The Medicine Cards or tarot cards.

I started drumming to help assist in going into trance state and this is where you trust the imagery or words or music that you receive as the message.  There are several different methods for helping maintain trance state. Consistent sound patterns like drums or singing bowls are only a part of it but is most commonly used.

When you are done, you journal the information for future reference ground and center to return to reality.

On a more personal note, I find it rather interesting the messengers and the message the divine sends when you need it. 

Thank you…..

Blessed Be.

No comments:

Post a Comment